Are you a newcomer to Canada? Are you a service provider working with newcomers and refugees? Access more resources as part of our project Promising Practices in Accessing Virtual Mental Health: Supporting Refugees during COVID-19, funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the Ontario Ministry of Health.
Alone in Canada: 21 ways to make it better
Created by: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
This factsheet outlines what is part of the normal reaction to living in a new country and when and how to ask for help. "Asking for help when things are not right " is available in nine languages including Amharic, Chinese, English, French, Hindi, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Somali.
The factsheet is part of a larger booklet called “Alone in Canada: 21 Ways to Make it Better” wherein newcomers share tips on learning to live in a new culture. This resource is available in more than 15 languages including Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Dari, English, Farsi, Filipino, French, Hindi, Korean, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Serbian, Somali, Spanish, Tamil, Twi, Urdu, and Vietnamese. Topics include:
- living in a new culture
- making friends
- celebrating the holidays
- learning the unwritten rules of Canadian manners
- building a new identity
- exercising for fun and health
- asking for help when things are not right.
Mental health information resources
Created by: Multicultural Mental Health Resource Centre (MMHRC)
These resources are intended for individuals interested in learning more about mental health and ways of improving emotional well-being. Topics include:
- ways of leading a healthy life
- coping with mental illness
- and more.
Access more than 40 mental health and well-being available in Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, Spanish and other languages.
A practical guide series
Created by: Transcultural Mental Health Centre (TMHC)
This series of brochures provides practical information about:
- getting a good night’s sleep (available in Arabic, Croatian, English, Filipino, Greek, Indonesian, Italian, Maltese, Polish, simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese)
- problem solving and setting goals (available in Arabic, Cantonese, English, Farsi, German, Greek, Italian, simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese)
- promoting well-being (available in Arabic, Cantonese, English, Farsi, German, Greek, Italian, simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese)
- stress and stress management (available in Arabic, Cantonese, English, Farsi, German, Greek, Italian, simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese).
Access brochures from the "Practice Guide Series".
Mental health and well-being
Created by: Embrace Multicultural Mental Health (the Embrace Project), by Mental Health Australia
The "Mental Health and Wellbeing" factsheet provides information on how to improve the mental health and well-being of yourself, your family, and your community. It is available in Arabic, Assyrian, Bengali, Burmese, simplified and traditional Chinese, Dari, Dinka, English, Farsi, Greek, Hazaragi, Italian, Korean, Nepali, Punjabi, Spanish, Swahili, Tamil, and Vietnamese.
Wellbeing: Invest in your life
Created by: Health Translations Australia
"Wellbeing: Invest in Your Life" is available in Arabic, simplified and traditional Chinese, English, French, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Karen, Spanish, and Vietnamese. This factsheet provides a number of simple, everyday ideas for how individuals can improve their mental, physical, spiritual, and social well-being.